The most important part of the flip is selling your car. There’s a number of options and one of the most popular and easiest ways to get your car in front of hundreds of potential buyers is to sell it online. But where can you list your car for sale?
- Biggest Audience
- Easy to use interface
- Well known
- Massive TV and other marketing activity
- Most expensive option
- People cant email you. I think this stops people asking questions which could lead to a sale.
- Low engagement. The portal doesnt facilitate interaction between buyer and seller
As a trader this is what it costs to advertise on Autotrader.co.uk Dealer Portal
- Basic 2 week advert with 9 images £27.50 + VAT
- Standard 2 week advert with 20 images and slide show £31.60 + VAT
- Extended 3 week advert with 20 images and slide show £35.00 + VAT
- FREE to list one car
- High profile TV and marketing advertising campaign
- 2nd largest car selling portal in the UK
- Currently only able to list one car at a time
- Not as well known as other options
- Limited description area
FREE. You cant beat Free!
- Well known
- Multiple ways to sell a car i.e. Auction, classifieds or Buy it now.
- Ability to add video into a listing
- Massive area to really describe your vehicle
- Difficult to get the true value for your car
- Can be expensive if you have to keep re-listing
- People are always looking for a mega bargain so you tend to get a lower price for your car than any other platform.
Varying costs depending on the upgrades and listing style
examples of costs are..
|Classified||Auction||Buy it now|
|Listing fees||Insertion fees||£14.99||£10.00||£10.00|
|Optional listing upgrades||Gallery plus||£2.99||Free||Free|
|Add Buy it now||–||£2.99||–|
|Final value fees||Final value fee||–||1% final selling price (min £20 max £35)|
- FREE to list your first two cars then £15 per car thereafter.
- Easy to list
- Cheaper cars tend to sell better
- Only really exposes your car to bargain hunters
- People will haggle you to death
FREE then £15 per car after 2 cars with options to feature your car for further cost or bump your car up the listings for further costs or feature your ad on the home page as a spotlight ad. You can also make your ad urgent. Fees vary.
- There are small groups dedicated to buying and selling
- People might not visit the other big sites as much as they visit Facebook
- People are tending to search for bargains only
- Small / niche buying groups
- Ads get lost quickly as more people post
- Very hit or miss
- A captive audience of people looking for second hand goods
- Free to list with a membership (from £5.00)
- Limited listing facilities (just 3 pictures, no video etc) unless you upgrade
- £5 for 12 months
- £25 for premium membership for 12 months
Of course there are plenty of other options too. You could look at owners forums. There are plenty of car enthusiast forums that have a buy / sell section. However they are often aware of the price and if you are looking for a premium for your car you probably wont get it here.
Do you know of any other places i haven’t mentioned that you think are worth a mention? Please comment below